Sunday, October 28, 2007

CROCS SHOES

Have you ever worn a pair of Crocs? They are a new footwear sensation that is sweeping the nation, and from my observations, you either love them or hate them. They come in a lot of different styles and colors. Most styles are made of something called croslite, which is a soft, lightweight material. Some of the clog-like styles have holes in the tops, and you can decorate, and customize them with jibbitz. These are unique charms which fit into the holes of the shoes. You can also purchase Crocs that have your favorite sports team logo and colors on the heelstrap of the shoe. You can choose from NFL, PGA, NHL, MLB, AVP, Collegiate, racing, and winter-sports themes. You can buy Crocs especially made for people with foot problems, and even for people with diabetes who have impaired circulation or ultra-sensitive feet. They come in all sizes, and can be worn by men, women and children. Some of the newer styles have a fleece-like lining for winter wear, and some have leather or canvas trim.

With all that said, (sounds like a sales pitch, I know) I can only testify to my own experience of wearing Crocs shoes. I got my fist pair about four years ago as a gift. They were the flip-flop, thong style, and were a beautiful light blue color inside, with a dark brown trim around the top and sides, very cool. I am a confirmed, lifelong flip-flop wearer and was very surprised when I put them on and felt really comfortable in them from the start. They were sort of softer, yet more supportive than my other flip-flops. I wore them almost everyday that summer, and even bought a pair for my sister, and my daughter.


When fall came, I discovered the clog-like, no top holes style of Croc shoes at my local sporting goods store. My daughter and I each bought a pair, and wore them until the snow began to fly. By spring I was anxious to get my Crocs out of mothballs, and even went to check out some new styles at a Crocs kiosk in our Mall. I ended up buying a pair of black Mary Jane style Crocs, and of course a new pair of flip-flops for summer.

Several seasons have passed, and my sister recently sent me a Crocs ad showing a pair of NFL Crocs with my favorite football team logo and colors on the heelstrap. Needless to say, after a little thought of “do I really need another pair”, I somehow convinced myself that these were so unique; they would probably be a collector’s item in years to come, so I ordered them. Five pairs of Crocs isn’t too obsessive, is it?!

I know they aren’t for everyone, and it’s tough to convince someone to wear a shoe that is somewhat awkward looking, and seems to be made of plastic with holes in them (like their clog-style shoe). However, it’s almost as if you have to step outside of the box and take a chance on buying a pair of Crocs that best suit your needs and taste to know if you will like them.

My growing Crocs’ collection is something that brings me comfort and makes me feel lighthearted when I wear them, so I guess I’m already hooked! I absolutely love how comfortable they are, and how I sort of get an extra spring in my step when I am walking or running in them. I do agree that some styles are a bit awkward looking, but the comfort makes up for that odd look. Most of my family members wear them now, kids, men and women, young and old. They have all colors and styles and they all say the same thing. “WE LOVE OUR CROCS!”

No comments: